YPARD director - Call for applications
This news is redirected by The Secretariat for Development Cooperation at SCIENCE from YPARD.
YPARD is seeking a dynamic, flexible, independent and innovative director to lead the network.
The mission of Young Professionals for Agricultural Development (YPARD) is to serve as a global platform through which young professionals can express their ideas and realize their full potential towards a dynamic agricultural research for development. It facilitates the exchange of information and knowledge among young professionals across disciplines, professions, age and regions; broadens opportunities for young professionals (YPs) to contribute to strategic agricultural policy debates at global, regional, national and local level; promotes agriculture among young people and facilitates access to resources and capacity building opportunities.
The director is responsible for the strategic direction, the overall coordination and fundraising of the network. While the network is large, the staff team is small and thus the director must be creative and flexible when faced with challenges and opportunities. We are seeking someone who can be proactive and confident to lead while at the same time responding and adapting to the different needs and priorities of a diverse network.
In particular, the incumbent has the following roles and responsibilities:
- Strategic development : Work with the network to develop the strategic direction and planning for the organization;
- Operations: The management and recruitment of staff, development of budgets and managing operating procedures at the global coordination unit in Rome;
- Network hosting arrangements: Oversee YPARD’s four regional coordination units which incorporate the activities of over sixty volunteer national representatives. Maintain existing regional hosting contracts with host institutions and seek new hosting institutions and regional representatives when required. Maintain the hosting relationship with the global hosting institution: the Global Forum for Agricultural Research (GFAR) and liaise with its constituents for ongoing activities;
- Programmes: Develop and implement new global programmes and support the continuation of ongoing programmes such as the mentoring program. Guide the development of regional programme planning and activities, impelementation and reporting, ensuring milestones and deadlines are met. Oversee national programs on an exceptional basis;
- Fundraising: Seek new funding and funding relationships for YPARD. Identify new potential funding partners, develop and submit proposals. Continue current agreements and adhere to reporting deadlines;
- Partnership: Engage in strategic networking with leading agencies in the agricultural development sector;
- Global representation: Represent YPARD at international, regional and national events. Raise its profile among relevant stakeholders;
- Steering Committee: Report to the YPARD Steering Committee. Prepare the YPARD annual workplan, narrative and financial reports for the YPARD Steering Committee and the annual Steering Committee meeting itself. Provide consolidated updates and progress reports (financial and activities) throughout the year and support the recruitment for new SC members in coordination with the chair and vice-chair.
Candidates are required to have;
- A master’s degree in agriculture, rural development, international development or related field
- At least 3 years’ experience working in development or agricultural related organizations
- Experience in fundraising, managing programs, writing reports, and working with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Knowledge and passion around issues of youth and agriculture;
- A creative spirit able to generate new models and ideas;
- Experience working with and mobilizing volunteers would be an advantage;
- Excellent command of English. Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an added advantage;
- The applicant is expected to be a member of YPARD and along with YPARD’s youth led mission should be below 40 years of age.
Location: Rome, Italy.
The successful candidate is expected to begin the position on October 16, 2017.
The position is remunerated as a long-term consultant within an international hosting organization.
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation of one page to email@example.com with cc to the YPARD Chair and Vice Chair on firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by June 11, 2017. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.