World Forestry Congress 2015 to take place in South Africa
The World Forestry Congress is the world’s largest and most important event on forests and forestry. For the first time ever, the Congress will take place in Africa in 2015 when South Africa hosts the event in Durban. Around 7,000 participants are expected to gather to define the future for forests and forestry. This broad participation and inclusive discussion on forestry issues will facilitate their mainstreaming in global agendas on sustainable development as well as building new partnerships. The central theme of the XIV WFC is Forests and People: Investing in a Sustainable Future. The XIV WFC will examine the need for, and the advantages of, investing in:
- the enabling environment – especially policy and institutional
- people – building capacity at all levels, knowledge and education in forestry, community-based forest institutions, and other human capital
- assets – such as forests and value-added production, largely by the private sector.
The six sub-themes of the WFC are the following:
- Forests for socio-economic development and food security
- Building resilience with forests
- Integrating forests and other land uses
- Encouraging product innovation and sustainable trade
- Monitoring forests for better decision-making
- Improving governance by building capacity
Call for abstracts
We invite abstracts for voluntary papers, posters and – for the first time – video presentations. Please make sure you submit your abstract before the deadline for submission, 30 January 2015.
Call for events
The call for events is now open. We welcome proposals for side events, networking events, launches, performances or regional events to share experiences and innovations and increase opportunities for dialogue among participants. The deadline for submission is 27 February 2015. Information about the different types of events, the application process and selection criteria can be found on our website under Call for events.
Full call for events | Guidelines |Online event registration system
The call for exhibitions will open after the New Year.