Open for nominations: BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards
This news is redirected by The Secretariat for Development Cooperation at SCIENCE from fnrs.
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards, whose eleventh edition is now open,
recognize and reward world-class research and artistic creation, prizing contributions of singular impact for their originality and significance. The name of the scheme is intended to denote not only research work that substantially enlarges the scope of our current knowledge – pushing forward the frontiers of the known world – but also the meeting and overlap of different disciplinary areas and the emergence of new fields.
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards are undertaken in collaboration with the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC).
- Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
- Biology and Biomedicine
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Ecology and Conservation Biology
- Climate Change
- Economics, Finance and Management
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Music and Opera
In Humanities and Social Sciences, the award will alternate annually between these two disciplinary domains, with this eleventh edition dedicated to the Humanities.
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards consist of 400,000 €, a diploma and a commemorative artwork in each of their eight categories.
Candidates may be one or more natural persons of any nationality, without limitation of number, that have made independent or convergent contributions to a given advance, whether due to a formal collaboration (with the nominees belonging to one or more groups) or parallel working. The awards are also open to scientific or cultural organizations that can be collectively credited with exceptional contributions to scientific knowledge, cultural creation or the fight against climate change.
Awards may not be granted posthumously.
Any scientific or cultural organization or institution can submit nominations, following their own internal procedures. Among them:
- Scientific or artistic societies and organizations
- National and regional academies of science or culture
- Public or private R&D centers
- University schools, departments or institutes and research or teaching institutes
- Hospital departments and biomedical research centers
- Schools of music
- Orchestras, orchestra associations, opera theaters and opera associations
- Public agencies and supranational, national or regional organizations substantially engaged in analysis and/or activities relating to climate change
- Other scientific, cultural and environmental organizations
- Winners of Nobel Prize
- Past winners of the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards
The same organization, institution or individual nominator may put forward more than one candidate without limitation of number, but no candidate may be nominated in more than one award category.
The closing date for submissions is June 28, 2018, at 23.00h GMT.
Further information and full entry conditions: https://www.frontiersofknowledgeawards-fbbva.es/conditions/